POSTING TITLE: Beach Lifeguard - Seasonal
DEPARTMENT: Fire/Ocean Rescue
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Twelve (12) temporary part-time positions are available for the period of May, 2021 – October 1, 2021
POSTING DATE: February 9, 2021
DEADLINE TO APPLY: April 10, 2020
TRYOUTS (Swim Test): April 2021 Date TBD
COMPENSATION: $11 per hour
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Under regular supervision observes beaches and water to monitor waders, swimmers, surfers, and other persons, along with boats and other watercraft and vehicles. Through communication and proactive safety contacts, averts potential accidents; utilizes swimming, paddling and water lifesaving skills to perform water rescues; provides first responder medical emergency response to water emergencies to include initial patient assessment, cardio-pulmonary resuscitation and trauma emergency care. Maintains lifesaving and other related equipment and facilities. Provides general assistance, information, instruction to the public regarding beach, water and other related public safety issues; receives, responds to and/or refers requests and complaints to management if warranted, provides guidance, warnings and announcements for the public’s benefit. Administers basic first aid for minor injuries. Participates in educational courses and training in lifeguard techniques and equipment, medical aid and a variety of other subjects related to lifeguarding; studies and learns local ocean, surf, weather, beach and environmental conditions; studies and learns departmental operations and procedures.
• At least 18 years of age
• Must have vision correctable to 20/20
• Physically able to operate water rescue equipment
• Physical ability to swim 500 meters in 12 minutes or less
• Physical ability to run one mile in 10 min
• Ability to frequently run, paddle, and walk long distances; stand and sit for long periods of time; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl, reach with hands and arms
• Ability to talk and hear both in person from close and long distances and by phone or radio and communicate effectively both orally and in writing to interpret, apply, and explain applicable guidelines
• Ability to use hands to handle, feel or operate lifesaving equipment; and drive a vehicle.
• Ability to regularly lift, or push or pull persons or equipment over 100 pounds
• Must possess a valid NC driver’s license
• Ability to attend and successfully complete Pender EMS and Fire Inc. sponsored USLA Standards Course
• Ability to successfully complete and receive certification in one person adult, two person adult, child and infant CPR, including obstructed airway training.
• Ability to work in outdoor weather conditions, routinely exposed to the sun, may be exposed to extreme heat and cold; in uneven and/or slippery surfaces with periodic exposure to hazardous conditions/situations.
• Ability to alertly observe and analyze public safety situations and determine appropriate course of action
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with general public and staff
• Ability to maintain clear, concise and accurate documentation
• Ability to remain calm, make sound decisions and respond appropriately in emergency situations
• Ability to maintain personal physical endurance and agility
• Previous experience or experience in a similar role
• EMT but not mandatory
Pender EMS and Fire Inc., is an equal opportunity employer. Pender EMS and Fire Inc., does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, age, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, gender identity, genetic expression, and genetic information or military status.
REQ 15 2020/2021